Wednesday 29 May 2013

on session 6 (Participatory diagramming and the use of visual techniques)

During the past two weeks some people apparently have been reading my diary entries. After some few have approached me, the one unanimous comment is that I overdid it… Which made me think I might be writing more and participating less… maybe. I guess I just have this feeling that everything participatory is somehow meant to disappoint. I’m exaggerating, but I am in a crappy mood tonight. After Rosalba presented us the Rivers of Representation project [which hoped to bring into a LGBT collective a valuable space so that its members saw that fighting together was meaningful making use of metaphor to represent life after HIV+ diagnosis (through drawings and self-narratives including poetry)] I was reminded of a conversation I had had the previous night with Soumita. Her anxieties (and mine) over aesthetics as being pivotal in our lives seemed somehow given an answer with this method. An odd answer, for I believe neither of us really meant to say, read this kind of poetry, stare at this kind of painting.

  

To make the point even clearer, I entered the room happily because I had just opened the Concert Gebouw magazine I had just got from my mailbox as I rushed for class. Our cultivated souls have made our arable tastes elitists. The engagement with the products of such participatory action will be mediated by the aesthetic sensibility of the interpreter (a difficulty also expressed by Larissa in a previous session) in order to make sense out of these materials. But the participatory exercise was yet to begin.
“A diverse, dynamic…” information “means” empowerment… something like that went the story behind one of the interventions presented. It was an idea that privileges [certain] accumulation of knowledge as an improvement. But what if you don’t want to be informed (and I’m not thinking about a masochistic self-tormentor that privileges suffering over more orthodox conceptions of well-being)? What if there’s too much information changing too much too many times? Dufflo made the point (somewhere sometime) that poor people would be better off if they had a bureaucratic apparatus that took the right decisions for them all the time, like accessing vaccination programs or other healthcare decisions. Reinterpreting her, to fight the bureaucracy is easier once you’re in it, the richer you get the more it is part of your life, the poorer, then the further away you are from accessing it. Zizek stresses a similar point [somewhere sometime] when claiming that he is lazy and he prefers to live in a place where there is a state that takes decisions for him, instead of having to be involved permanently in participation and engagement. This is of relevance to me because the double ‘preventive’ mastectomy of Angelina Jolie that she disclosed here, some days after Peggy Orensteins had published a more comprehensive and informative article about breast cancer where she gives the feel that so much is known about the disease without really knowing what to do with it (how to detect it, how to treat it and what to do after it is treated). This comes at a time when a close friend of mine has just been detected breast cancer.

I got torticollis. The round structure of the plenary might not be as adequate for a lecture as… more a place with more comfortable chairs. About the power of those who have the technical ability to produce images of representation, Rosalba commented that if you hold a camera [in Mexico/Peru] you are immediately thought of as someone who can pay for that image. . Additionally, on the commodification of images, my first boyfriend got connected with a project called “Disparando Camaras” or Shooting Cameras for Peace where [poor, marginalized…] children were taught to build camera obscura and how to take pictures with them. Their depictions of their environment were translated into their “identities” that made it to the UN NYC building after the most posh curatorial process…
But now for our participatory exercise! Joyce and Lenny set the mood after our chocolate post-break boost citing Speedy Gonzales: “Ándale, ándale, arriba, arriba”. Talk about the internationally corporate commodification of images, from the US to Colombia to the Philippines, through the family name of some brothers. We rose from our seats to take pictures that represented the ISS for the incoming batch. Although Fungai and Maria had cameras I didn’t understand why or how we ended up using only the pictures from my phone. Maria was crucial for the editing, knowing the collage-making website, filtering the images into “warmer” takes… which brings me again to the aesthetic subjectivities that are lost as they are rendered into academic research standards.

During the round table discussion on the exercise, Gina whatsapped me. She asked me if I believed her comment about color-difference had been inappropriate. I responded looking at her expressing my awkwardness. “Why would it have been an issue at all?” I thought. “What are you talking about?” I believed that was the only justification of the Attrium’s colorfull bird-like kites. But then this was across the room and Lenny, sitting in the middle of the circle read my face as referring to what her group was saying. It was only after class that I understood (because Gina and Marcela explained to me) that the color phrase had a racial subtext that I had not read. But I overdid it again so I stop.

Some pictures from artsy-farty apps for smartphone pictures:
 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment